The climb of the year. Midway between ROCK CLIMBING & HIKING, use all your senses to reach the top of the Red/Colorful Mountain. The mountain is called Red Mountain by locals depicting its bright red color. The hike is a bit challenging but the views from top are worth it.
Drive across the eastern desert, underneath the Suez Canal, elevate in the bus from sea level to 1500m above sea level, reaching Saint Catherine Town the highest town in Egypt. Start the hike in “Wadi El Arbein” meaning valley of the forty, referring to the story of the lost Jews in the for 40 years. Reach 1800m above sea level, at a small water well and a mountain valley area occupied by “Am Ramadan’s Family”. A total of 3km hike, total elevation gain 300m. Set the cam, enjoy some beduin chicken for dinner, gaze at the clear skies before sleep.
Then in the early morning, start climbing up again trying to reach the Red Mountain Summit at approximately 2200m above sea level. Have a genuine cup of tea on top.
- Trip from Cairo/Giza visiting Saint Catherine.
- Sites: Red Mountain, Wadi El Arbein (both inside Saint Catherine Protected Park).
- Duration: 2 Days / 2 Night hike to the Red Mountain Summit.
- Repetition: We operate this trip once a year, if you to request a private trip, please contact us on our fanpage www.facebook.com/weTrips
- Hike is best enjoyed from early October till end of March.
- Difficulty Level: Intermediate hike and requires previous hiking experience for utmost joy.
- What to bring: please contact us for a complete packing list.
- This is a group trip not a private trip.
- Price Includes:
• One Night accommodation in tents or under the clear skies around a bonfire.
• Dinner & breakfast.
• Transportation Cairo/Saint Catherine/Cairo in an air-conditioned modern vehicle.
• Taxes and service charge.
- Price Excludes:
• Extra water & snacks.
The itinerary is subject to be amended according to weather expectations and government procedures.
Terms & conditions apply.
23:00 (11pm) Meet in front of Baron Palace (near Baron Hotel) on Salah Salem Road. Two breaks on the road.
23:00 Head towards Janub Sinai, via Cairo Suez Road, Cross the Tunnel and head Southwards. Then finally via Wadi Firan to the East towards Saint Catherine Monastery.
07:00 (am) Expected to arrive to Saint Catherine Protected Park at altitude 1500m above sea level.
08:30 Have breakfast at Fox Camp. Gear up and hike towards Valley "Wadi El Arbeen" a 3km hike within the valley ascending 300m. Reaching an altitude of 1800m above sea level.
13:00 (1pm) Set camp site near a local beduin family living in the valley.
15:00 lunch, tea time and music or enjoy the valley.
19:00 prepare the campfire to cook dinner.
21:00 Gaze at the skies, chit chat and sleep early.
05:00 Early morning wake up.
05:30 Light breakfast.
06:00 Head towards Red Mountain peak with first light.
11:00 Expecting to reach the peak. Rest, snack and picture time. Also short siesta if you wish.
13:00 Start the ascend downwards.
15:00 Expected to reach campsite and start packing.
17:00 Head back to Saint Catherine town.
17:30 Head back to Cairo, via Wadi Firan, then north towards Ras Sudr, cross the tunnel and off to Cairo via Cairo Suez road.
Expected to arrive Cairo at around
1am the next morning.
End of the Trip